[3830] ARRL FD AB1J 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD AB1J 1D LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 02:46:10 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  307     0      32  Total Score = 1,356

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Another FD come and gone.  FD was how I got seriously interested in contesting
(yeah, I know it's not a contest, but it's very much like one).

In 1960 or so I went with the Goshen (IN) ARC, K9TSM, to Buzzard's Hill north of
town.  Two stations were set up, the youngsters up the hill on the high bands
and the senior set (all younger than I am now) lower down on 40/80m.  By morning
we kids had a bunch of QSOs and thought we were doing great.  Some Sunday
replacement ops showed up and one of them came up to our station and told me the
old guys down the hill had 350 QSOs.  I didn't believe it and trotted right down
there, stuck my head in the camper and asked Andy, W9WDQ (SK), how many QSOs
they had.  "About 350."  Oh.

I trudged back up the hill in the chilly morning light and pondered that.  I had
no idea anyone could make that many QSOs, but I resolved to give it a try myself
sometime in the future.  So I did.

I tried FT8 this year.  There didn't seem to be a good way to include the
exchange except to tack it on at the end of the QSOs, after the 73s.  I called
CQ FD but most of those who answered weren't in the activity.  I had five FT8 FD
Qs.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM+
20m-15m attic dipoles
80m-40m outdoor 66' stealth wire, Dentron manual tuner and indoor counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog