[3830] RAC Day K1LT SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day K1LT SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 01:39:34 +0000
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

  160:    5      0       1         0
   80:   22      2       5         2
   40:  111     19      10         5
   20:  185     19      11         5
   15:   54      4       9         3
   10:   19      1       3         1
    6:
    2:
Total:  396     45      39        16  Total Score = 147,840

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I think this is the first time I've operated the RAC Canada Day
contest.  Previously I might have made a few QSOs while logging VEs
into my regular log.

I am hoping that by working lots of my northern neighbors, I might
pick up a few more grids and points for the ARRL Grid Chase.

It was fun making contacts on all six bands and I looked for an
opportunity to make it seven.  I wonder if there is a protocol for
excursions to the not highly populated bands such as 160 and 6 meters.
I checked 160 around 10pm and found no one while I found a few signals
just after midnight.  I kept an eye on 6 meter spots to see if a band
opening might attract some activity, but if there was any, I missed
it.

Seems like a few contacts with Ontario on both 6 and 160 might be
possible from here via short range propagation almost any time.  Thus
the only requirement might be a prearranged time to check 160 or 6.

The K3 seems to be getting worse at maintaining stable power output.
I guess I need to pull the cover off and see if anything is obviously
fried on the bandpass board or the antenna tuner board or maybe in the
power amplifier module.

My K3 has a second problem which I haven't mentioned much here
and that is the primary receiver goes deaf from time to time when the
radio is not thoroughly warmed up.  Signals just fade from the audio
on the first RX even though the P3 is unaffected.  Signals in the
second RX are not affected.  So far, I have not identified any
reliable way of making the problem go away other than just waiting.
Sometimes changing bands or filters or attenuators makes the problem
go away, as if there was some relay being flakey, but most of the
relays should be upstream from the IF output to the P3 and the signal
path to the P3 is always reliable.

Maybe I'll skip paying my property tax and buy another K3.  I'm sure
the Fairfield County Auditor will be completely sympathetic.