[3830] IARU N8II SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N8II SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 21:16:36 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 12.2

  160:    8      0      3        1
   80:   40     14      8       11
   40:  202     31     16       31
   20:  287    161     25       40
   15:   77     43     13       17
   10:    8      4      5        3
-------------------------------------
Total:  622    253     70      103  Total Score = 483,881

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was not motivated going into the IARU to put in a big effort and then there
was the Wimbledon final and the peach tree/peaches with which to worry. But, I
wanted to put in a decent effort to work WRTC stations. Things started about as
expected; 20 was quite poor to EU, only the very big guns beaming NA were
workable. there was sporadic E to EU on 15/10, but it was limited, no Germany on
15 in first hour. EF4HQ was easy to work on both 10 CW/SSB, but no other EU on
10.

I was off from 1236-1726Z which cost plenty of ground, but if you cherry pick
when it is best to operate it is usually a good time to take it easy. 15 was
open to southern EU guns and there was plenty of sporadic E into W4/5/0 and
signals from CA and W7 were quite good (Es or F2, not sure). Of note were Q's
with VE6, KH7, and R3ZZ (only northern EU on band). I had some runs beaming west
on both 15 SSB and CW with good rates. 10 was open very well to YV and LU with
some Es into W4.

Then it was down to 20 CW at 1853Z and I started working the WRTC Y8 stations
almost immediately. I S&P'ed quite a while. Some the Y8's had a good pile
up, but worked all I heard thanks to the great ops on the other end. When I
tried to run, the rate might be decent for 5-10 minutes then nothing or other
frequencies just did not work (EU QRM or lack of callers); most of my answers
were from NA, but was beaming EU. My S&P rate was good, probably better than
the run attempts. Finally, after a short break at 2118Z, I when to phone and
soon had a good run going of mostly EU stations. I was on my running game,
pushing through the Q's very efficiently. I had some decent CW runs as well and
signals from EU became enormous around 22Z. Between quick checks of 15 and great
20M conditions, I stayed very busy past the time I should have gone to 40. The
phone highlight was being called by two Asiatic Russians in zones 30 and 31 2
Q's apart. I had some brief runs west, but tried to focus on EU with some
S&P for HQ mults and Y8's thrown in. When I went to 40 CW there was good
news; conditions also were about as good as they can get with low SFI, Russians
were loud! And, there were plenty of WRTC stations. I ran some EU, but mostly
S&P'ed picking up many mults/WRTC's.
The points per minute were better in S&P mode most of the time.

After a half hour break at 0228Z I tried 75/80 and conditions were good as well
there, plenty of HQ stations on phone who could hear me and a decent number of
EU/NA stations were on CW. PX2A was a nice mult on 80 CW. 160 was worth a few
mults, sparse activity. I found 7 Y8's on 80, could have worked a few more, but
some were sending so fast on 80 with signal in the noise that it was impossible
to copy them. Their speed was higher on 80 than 40/20, a tactical error in my
opinion. Around 04Z EU was fading on 40 and pretty well gone for me by 05Z. I
had my usual good success finding OC mults on 20, but USA stations were pretty
well gone except west coast at 0330Z. There was no AS and only one new Russian
EU on the band then. I worked numerous VK's in zone 59, and zones
56(FK),60,61,and 62 E51) as well as NZART and GRC (HC).

WRTC station worked stats: 7 Q's 80M, 25 on 40, 51 on 20, none above for 83
total. Y81 = 10 Q's, Y82 = 22, Y83 = 14, Y84 = 12, Y86 = 6, Y87 = 15, Y89 = 4.
K3ZO worked over 40 on 80 with his 3 el yagi, fb!

So, again the competition was not that high on SOAB LP with no one reporting a
bigger score so far either assisted or not from NA. Thanks much for the Q's and
I was happy to provide a Q while S&P'ing. It was so much fun I stayed up
until 0530Z, was hooked when 20 sounded good in the afternoon and it only got
better.

73, Jeff