[3830] IARU W3UA SOAB(A)Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W3UA SOAB(A)Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 03:12:20 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W3UA
Operator(s): W3UA
Station: W3UA

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    21     0      6        7
   80:   138     9     15       24
   40:   395    33     30       43
   20:   419   154     30       43
   15:    97    19     17       28
   10:    17     8      4       10
-------------------------------------
Total:  1087   223    102      153  Total Score = 1,198,755

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I decided to work just with WRTC participants, keeping tradition of clean sweeps
of two previous WRTC. However, in the past both times I was in the near zone --
in Moscow I fired up my old station RA3AA, and from top of my antennas in
Bedford NH I could probably see most of WRTC-2014 positions. So back then it was
kinda "shooting fish in a barrel" type of a contest. This time I could
not make close to the participants, so was forced to shoot over the pond. I
don't know how WRTC organizers arranged this kind of propagation at the bottom
of the Sunspot cycle (Was it HARP or German 300 Terawtt transmitter?) -- but in
general, working Y8 guys has been easier from the distance. I made clean sweep
on 20 and 40 CW, with only one missing station on 80 (guess who? Y87B of course
-- our Phone Champions) -- despite my all attempts using Skimmers and RBN, I
could not catch them on 80.

So, about half way into the contest, casually S&P-ing, I got about 300 Qs
(Y8 and HQ stations mostly, plus a handful of friends). Clean sweeps were
completed, bandmap was all dark blue, I was bored and almost decided to go to
bed... but I discovered that 10 meter was wide oped direct to Eurpoe. I could
not believe it. It was a sign from above (literally), that this contest is worth
playing, despite all time spent on handpicking the Y8s. So I switched gears, and
played the second half of the contest... like a contest. Obviously, I could not
make a meaningful score, but I had a lot of fun.