[3830] IARU K7HKR SOABSSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, azswdxing@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K7HKR SOABSSB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 07:23:56 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SOABSSB LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:
   80:           2      1       1
   40:          44      9       4
   20:          31      9       3
   15:           7      4       1
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:   0      84     23       9  Total Score = 6,528

Club:

Comments:

7-foot diameter magnetic loop (20-80), 2el 10m/15m Yagi, both at about 5 meters
IC-7300 barefoot from Arizona, all S & P

I didn’t finish building the 10m/15m Yagi until about 6 hours before the
contest.  The elements extend or retract to work on one band or the other, and
with a well choreographed sequence of raising the mast a bit at a time and
extending the elements a bit at a time, I can actually install this from my 8ft
x 8ft patio with the elements eventually hanging above the roof and carport.
However, there was very little activity on 15 meters (which was NOT just due to
conditions), and 10 meters was pretty much non-existent, at least on phone.  So,
that last-minute effort was wasted.

On Saturday, I lost time to a nap, thunderstorms, and a 45-minute teardown and
repair of the motor coupling for the vacuum variable capacitor that tunes the
loop.  Through the first 12 hours, it was North America plus Hawaii, except
finding Uruguay on an otherwise completely empty 15-meter band.  More DX started
to happen after that, but I could only work a handful of what I heard.  Worked a
couple of JAs during the overnight, and quit when it was clear that I couldn’t
reach 100 QSOs.  The DX I got was fun, but 70 out of my 84 QSOs were from Zones
6, 7, and 8.  Just the usual 5-6 QSO/hr average S&P rate here.  Stations
like mine probably shouldn't be allowed to participate in a World Championship,
hi hi.