[3830] CQWW VHF AE0EE SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF AE0EE SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 22:53:49 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: EN34
Operating Time (hrs): 11

    6:  142    72
    2:    2     1
-------------------
Total:  144    73  Total Score = 10,658

Club: Northern Lights Radio Society

Comments:

100 W (6 m CW), 50 W (6 m FT8 and 2 m USB) to a Moxon (6 m ) or 3-element Yagi
(2m) up 12' AGL and 20' below roofline in the city.  All CW keyed on a Vibroplex
bug.

It was great to have 6 meters open during much of the contest!  FT8 performed
very well, and when FT8 got very busy there were good rates to be had on CW.

Although I tried meteor scatter, my station isn't quite big enough to do it,
particularly with all the noise here in the city.  I worked one MSK144 contact,
but it was clearly on E-skip as the band opened.  After that contact I switched
right over to FT8 and got on with working all the 4- and 5-land stations.  I
feel I would have worked more of them had they not been busy calling CQ DX, CQ
EU, or working Europeans.

I worked two XE stations for a new band-country, and heard EA8, KP4, and HI.

I lost a fair bit of time dealing with stations that hadn't figured out the NA
VHF Contest mode for FT8.  It took a few extra cycles with those stations to get
everything through, and there were a lot of those stations; then it was a
struggle to remember to turn it back on when I moved on to the next QSO.  It
would've been nice if there were an auto-failover to the non-contest mode when
you get a signal report back; it's faster to just work them with the signal
reports than to try to deal with the contest mode, or to manually switch to the
signal reports on the subsequent sequence.

Overall I had a great contest, and it was good to see the bands in good shape
with lots of activity.  I made a couple of 2 m USB contacts with locals at the
very end once 6 m was effectively closed.

Thanks for the contacts and the new grids!