[3830] CQWW VHF N7GP SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa8wzg@wa8wzg.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF N7GP SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 00:04:08 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N7GP
Station: N7GP

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: arizona
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  287   123
    2:   26     9
-------------------
Total:  313   132  Total Score = 44,748

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Lightning storm came thru my area Friday night and caused issues with the
computer and logging software. So I got a late start Saturday. I Started by
trying FT8 in contest mode, and just too much confusion between modes/
sequencing. It was a waste of time!!BUT like everyone else,, The temptation of
the juicy grids / DX and lower power needed to make contacts, suckers us all in.
ALso 90 percent of the ops weren't contesting, just cruising for DX and new
grids, which added to the total MESS. I quickly learned to switch modes to work
as many as I could but the rate and frustration , did not make it worth the
effort..
Sunday I thought I would give it another try and this time the frustration was
different!! I could decode MANY east coast stations on back scatter, but they
were all looking ot EU so I could not get there attention.. so another roud of
frustration. I finally gave up on mixing FT8 and SSB  and switched to SSB only
on 2 and 6,, worked everyone I could find in the area on 2, and switched to 6
SSB. I immediately heard Marshall, N5QE,in Texas, and it was game on!!
I had a run that lasted 2 hours that was the BEST 6 meter run I have had in 25
plus years of VHF contesting,, there was single hop, double hop and back
scatter,all mixed in!!! and non stop,, I even worked a few guys that had to look
up their grid, so it seemed like every ONE came out of the wood work. I was
working Texas and the boarder states up and down the Mississippi  on single hop,
Florida and South Eastern US on double hop and Oregon, Utah, Washington,
Colorado and New Mexico and Cali, on Back scatter, all at same time,,and there
weren't huge pileups, just a fast continuous steady stream of calls so it was
easy to manage,, So Thanks to all the Outlaws that got on to work me, and make
some noise!!.. and I agree with Gary and everyone else,, VHF contesting is and
has always been all about grids, we dont need the "funny" numbers,, so
Joe Taylor, if your listening .. put out a revision,, for VHF contesting only
mode...STAT!!!
Thanks for the Band width,,and contacts,, cu on the bands!!!
Tom
N7GP (Grid Pirate)
ex WA8WZG