[3830] CQWW VHF W0UC SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, husby002@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF W0UC SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 15:30:06 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: W0UC
Operator(s): W0UC
Station: W0UC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  291   191
    2:   32    21
-------------------
Total:  323   212  Total Score = 75,260

Club: Northern Lights Radio Society

Comments:

This was only the second time I have made it out to the Farm for CQ, the other
being 2014.  I was primarily interested in the rare opportunity to work some DX,
so I concentrated mostly on FT8.  I was able to work the EU countries I decoded,
but that was only three - GM, CT & I.  It's pretty frustrating to hear
less-equipped stations only a couple hundred miles south calling many other
countries.

I had a couple decent runs of about an hour on SSB/CW, but most of the time I
was a little too far north to be in the really solid E-skip.  However, there
were an incredible number of grids to be had on weak FT8.  My grid map is quite
unusual compared to a regular SSB/CW operation:  grids sprinkled everywhere,
then a few areas filled in normally where I had the runs on SSB/CW.  FT8 is
changing the face of 6M contesting, and it is tricky to know which mode you
should be on when, and for how long.

The number of new calls in the log, both on SSB and FT8, continues to amaze me.
Now we need to figure out how to get those folks interested in the higher
bands!

Many thanks to the AC0RA/R crew giving me a reason to pay attention to 2M.  They
did an amazing job!

73
Paul W0UC
EN44HamRadio