[3830] IOTA MD7C(M5RIC) SO24SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, r.bro84@googlemail.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA MD7C(M5RIC) SO24SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 09:05:23 +0000
                    IOTA Contest

Call: MD7C
Operator(s): M5RIC
Station: MD7C

Class: SO24SSB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 15

   80:                    215      36
   40:                    382      56
   20:                    288      37
   15:                    134      19
   10:                    157      13
Total:   0        0      1176     161  Total Score = 1,508,570

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Last minute decision to enter this year as I only booked flights the week before
due to a change in work commitments. I missed last years contest so was looking
forward to one of my favourite contests in the calendar. My last entry was in
2016 where I won the category in the UK with 1800 qso's so set a target of 1900
for this year.

10m showed signs of life early on Saturday morning so was hopeful it would stay
open to allow some qso's during the contest and it didn't fail, a great run at
the start but this seemed the only time so a good decision to leave a 20m and
try there.

Most of the afternoon was spent jumping bands between 10-15-20 to search for
mults and run before trying 40m early on hoping to get a nice run on 15 point
G's.

We experienced just about every type of weather minus snow at some point over
the weekend, sometimes changing within minutes. This was most annoying when we
had a huge static rain shower on Saturday evening for a long period of time when
all I had was +20 of noise on all bands, meaning I could not make any qso's and
had to wait. Apologies to anyone who called and I just didn't reply or CQ'd back
but it was a real struggle.

Finally the rain passed and I could hear once again so got back to it and mixed
bands between 20-40-80 for the evening before activity slowed down in to the
early hours. The fact I could always find a clear frequency to run on any band
says something - wish that was the case for other contests!

The early hours passed and I wanted to get back to 20m but noticed that the
rotator was stuck on 290 deg and no matter what I did, nothing worked and it
would no move. Wasting valuable time knowing the 20m run to EU was key for the
qso total on Sunday morning and adding up the time I lost due to the rain the
night before I called it a day putting it down to bad luck and hope for more
success next year.

A nice amount of acitivty from the UK and thanks to all that called and said
hell0, lots of short contest calls in this one. Even though the NG3K page listed
plenty of islands I did think this year was a little short and struggled to find
multiplers at times. Hsving seen the 3830 page a lot of CW entries so maybe this
is why?

Thanks for the q's and to all that travelled to islands to make the contest
fun.

Equip:

K3
Acom 2000
OB11-3
40-2CD
80M Dipole
Wintest

See everyone from PZ5K in CQWW SSB in October.

73

Rich M5RIC / MD7C