[3830] NAQP CW NE3K Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW NE3K Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2018 15:53:19 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: NE3K
Operator(s): NE3K
Station: NE3K

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Mt. Airy, MD
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:    1     1
   40:   48    25
   20:   60    27
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  109    53  Total Score = 5,777

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Rag Chewers Team #1

Comments:

Remote operation from my work to my home QTH on my Flex-6300 with N1MM+. The
setup worked quite well, as far as I can tell. One drawback is there is no
sidetone over a network connection like used with these radios, unless you send
with the built in CW keyer. I tried that for a while and for me it made it a
clunky operation having to click between windows and the like to control the two
different pieces of software (SmartSDR and N1MM+). So eventually I just dealt
with not hearing the sidetone at all and went completely with N1MM+ control.

Started the contest while still at work and had to stop periodically to help
customers as they came in the Distillery. So first few hours were really
sporadic. Heck, the whole thing was really sporadic, but managed a few contacts.
Once I got home from work I still ran remotely, but at the home QTH. Just not
sitting directly at the rig. Made it nice not to have to go up and down the
stairs for bathroom, food, drink breaks.

Still a lot to learn about contesting this way, and I'm not sure I'm 100% sold
on the Flex radio yet. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic rig, but I guess I
just like having the control panel in front of me that I can put hands on while
operating still. Maybe a Maestro in the future?

Thanks for the Qs as always.

73,

NE3K