[3830] NAQP SSB NW6P M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@w9kkn.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB NW6P M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 08:25:40 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: NW6P
Operator(s): W9KKN WX5S AI6TK AI6ZU
Station: NW6P

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Cupertino, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    0     0
   80:   28     7
   40:  198    44
   20:  294    47
   15:   14     7
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  535   106  Total Score = 56,710

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

As always, special thanks to Tom (NW6P) for letting us use his station and his
legendary hospitality.

Today was about elmering over competing. We were fortunate enough to have the
opportunity to welcome a few new contesters into the NW6P shack, show them the
ropes, and get them as much time in the chair as they were willing.

WX5S (Matt) got us started out along with WA2FHF (Mike) listening, while I
kicked off the WVARA BBQ for the first hour or so, and then AI6TK (Jeri) AI6ZU
(Amy) came along and helped shake a few QSOs out of 20m. Watch out for these
YLs, and just wait until I get them QRV with RTTY and CW...

The bands, oh my, were they bad. You know, they're almost never great these
days, but today was just a disaster. It wasn't quite "what's wrong with my
antenna" bad, but in looking on the real-time score postings, it seemed to
affect everyone. 15m pretty much seemed to die right away, and 20m, barely made
into the east coast sometimes. There were a few sudden spikes of activity which
appeared to coincide with a few short gasps of lower geomagnetic disturbance,
but they were short-lived. When 40m finally opened for me, I had a few spurts of
good rates, but was never able to get much of anything going on 80m.

Oh, and congrats, K6TLR!

73 & Thanks for the Q's, everyone!
-- Bill/W9KKN