[3830] NAQP SSB V31VP(@V31DL) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB V31VP(@V31DL) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 21:42:44 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: V31VP
Operator(s): V31VP
Station: V31DL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: V3
Operating Time (hrs): 10:00

  160:    0     0
   80:    9     5
   40:  246    43
   20:  333    46
   15:   56    19
   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total:  647   115  Total Score = 74,405

Club: DFW Contest Group

Team: DFWCG Molar

Comments:

I thought I'd come down to Belize again and provide another multiplier.

DUDE!
Conditions were fairly wretched compared to just a few months ago, with our star
going into the nadir of its cycle.

Based on what I'd experienced the night before in the 1st session of the SARTG
RTTY contest I knew that the later at night it got, the worse things would be so
I chose my off times to be the last 90 minutes with a 30 minute break in the
afternoon doldrums to run down from the shack and grab a bite to eat. Turned out
 to be the right choice, at least from down here.  Too far away to do much on
80m with low power anyway.

20 and 40 were of course the bread and butter bands.  By "advertising"
during my 20m runs that I'd be frequently popping over to 15m I managed to pick
up some 15m mults and Qs.  2 of the 3 Qs on 10m were the results of moves
(thanks NT5V and K5RT); had to call a few times and catch them as the QSB faded
up, but it worked.   80m from down here with low power was its own special form
of misery  but managed to eke out a few including moves from 40m.   No effective
160m antenna down here, so nada there.

Had some good runs on 20 and 40, although with no amps and poor conditions,
there was a lot of "digging" to pry guys out of the noise, and lots of
requests for repeats.

The mult board was only fair, only states with Qs on 5 bands were FL and TX.
Didn't work a single station from ND, NE, RI, DC, or AK.  Only worked one from
NM(!) when KC5RGQ called in on 40m.  Tried moving him to 20, but no joy.  He
said he heard me call on 20m but I couldn't hear him.  I had better luck with
W0EJ from SD.  He called in on 40m and I successfully moved him to 20m.
Where were all the VE's?!  Only ones I worked were from VE3.

It was fun being the only (presumably) V3 multiplier.  I hope it helped.

Thanks again to Andre (DL1AS/V31DL) and Monika for the use of the shack at their
 Maya Hill Lodge and their fine hospitality.  This was my 10th trip down here
since Oct 2016 and now that I'm retired I can stay longer.

Look for V31VP to again be QRV in the CQ WW RTTY test next month when I'll be
teaming up with Scott, K5PS(ex-KK7JS)/V31CQ as an M/S entry.

73,
Victor V31VP (WB0TEV)