[3830] 50FallSprnt N2SLN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 50FallSprnt N2SLN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 19:29:54 +0000
                    50 MHz Fall Sprint

Call: N2SLN
Operator(s): N2SLN
Station: N2SLN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN22
Operating Time (hrs): 3.25

Club:

Comments:

Drove 70 miles to an eastern FN22 hilltop, got 5-el Yagi set up 2 minutes before
start time, and was greeted with S9+20dB broadband noise despite a diplexer and
low-pass filter. I've used this hilltop before on 6m with no problems.
Considered tearing down and going home. Tearing down and driving a couple hours
to another hilltop would mean very little operating left during non-prime hours.
Tried turning off the external preamp and noise dropped to S3 so I stayed and
operated that way with just the transceiver preamp on. The remaining noise did
drop with the beam pointed in certain directions. Was able to work 334 miles
(537 km) to Virginia station KD4AA FM17 for a best DX in one of the quiet
directions. Contacts slowed to only one in the third hour, so when I made one
more at 10:15 local, it was the right time to tear down. There was no sporadic-E
and I was apparently too far south to get in on the aurora despite an elevated
planetary K index of 6 during the sprint (and K=7 after the sprint). Worked 4
stations in FN20; all other contacts were unique grids. Will have to use a
different hilltop for future 6m sprints to get away from the QRN.