[3830] Makrothen RTTY AB1J SO/Single Xcvr LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] Makrothen RTTY AB1J SO/Single Xcvr LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 16:04:21 +0000
                    Makrothen RTTY Contest

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO/Single Xcvr LP
QTH: Waltham MA FN42
Operating Time (hrs): 19

------------
   80:   73
   40:  114
   20:  160
   15:   28
   10:
------------
Total:  375  Total Score = 1,308,434

Club:

Comments:

As a fan of both distance scoring and RTTY, I'm happy the Makrothen was
resuscitated by those Pizza Lovers (I also love pizza and had some Saturday
evening while I operated).  Thank you. And thanks to everyone for the QSOs.

Still, I don't think straight distance scoring is enough to help even things
out.  The distance scoring assumption is that as distance increases the
possibility of QSOing decreases linearly. Actually, though, signal strength
decreases in a complicated way: path differences, skip patterns, and normal
signal strength decreases (inverse square).

Given that, distance scoring needs a handicapping fudge factor to (sort of) even
things out although it will never be as simple as handicapping the ponies.
Historical contest data might also be helpful.  I'm not naive enough to think we
can get to a true world wide level playing field, but I'm sure we can do
better.

In addition to ingenuity, this requires a lot of computing power but we have
that now, whereas they didn't when our biggest and most popular contests were
designed back in the mid-20th century.  It's time to take a giant step forward.

If we can figure out a better way to score contests, they could scored two ways,
traditionally and with the new approach.  Any new way would have to be refined
over time and this could be an exciting project and I think one all contesting
participants would follow with interest, whether they approve or not.

See you next year.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM+  MMTTY(narrow RX & TX) MMTTY(wide RX) 2Tone(Selective)
20m-15m attic dipoles
80m-40m-20m outdoor 66' stealth wire, Dentron manual tuner and indoor
counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog