[3830] TBDC NA8V Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hgchapoton@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC NA8V Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 23:52:01 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: mi
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

Total:  QSOs = 347  Total Score = 1,453

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Great fun to operate another Stew, always a highlight.  Condx were good but not
great.  Quite a bit of QRN here.  Also a lot of rapid QSB.  Worked 52 stns in
Eu, the two KP2's and XE2S.  That was it for DX.  Skip into Eu seemed to favor
the north.  Often when that happens the band opens well into Russia but only
worked one, RA1AOB.  Highest point qsos were 16 pointers with UX1UA, HA8BT and
YO2GL.  Scanning my log to find that I just found an impossible entry: a G with
10pts.  Oh, well.  I'm sure there are quite a few other errors in this one as
many signals were right at the noise level.  I know there were several stations
I just couldn't quite copy, apologies and thanks for trying - I'm sure we'll
make it next time.  I was surprised to not work more central and southern Eu,
maybe the WAG held down activity as the few I did work had decent sigs.

This was the first contest with my new YCCC 7 element (60deg spacing) array.
Still have to work a couple things out but it's a keeper.  Did most of my CQing
on my Eu beverage as it's better at hearing "somethings in there" in
off directions.

Started before sunset, first two QSOs were G4IIY and F6AGM.  I thought the
floodgates might open but just had a few dx stragglers call in until around 04z
when it got much better.  Conditions to the whole US were pretty good throughout
as was activity.  Last eu was at 0659z.  Went to bed after that, got back on at
sunrise.  Condx were good to the whole US but nothing in the Pacific heard here.
 Took a couple other breaks during the evening when rate got slow.

Look forward to the Big Stew in December!
greg/na8v