[3830] CQWW SSB W2IRT M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, contesting@w2irt.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W2IRT M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 00:14:26 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W2IRT
Operator(s): W2IRT KK2U WO2X
Station: W2IRT

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 27.6

  160:    4     3        4
   80:   71    13       50
   40:  130    24       62
   20:  474    29      102
   15:  108    19       58
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I was ready for a personal best this year until 5 minutes into the contest when
I start getting reports of extremely bad audio from the stations who even
bothered trying to answer me (and there weren't many of those).

Sounded like RF in the audio and I went through all sorts of troubleshooting
before giving up early.

In the morning, Dave, WO2X and Rob, KK2U came over and did some more
troubleshooting. After some research, WO2X believed the problem was a blown FET
in the final amp of the K3s! What a way to start a contest, and with a $6,000
radio to boot! I was livid. Dave was kind enough to loan me a Flex 6500 to
finish the contest with and we got it going late in the day on Saturday.

I struggled mightily, both with a grossly unfamiliar radio and the bad
propagation and went to bed early again on Saturday.

KK2U had a nice run and good luck S&P on 20 on Sunday morning on 15. I did
what I could on 15 and 20 later on, but the bands were in just horrible shape
and I couldn't get a run going for love or money. Even S&P was much worse
than usual. I'm just glad this is over and I can get back to my life again.
Seriously, this was one of the worst radio weekends I've ever lived through. Yay
Elecraft! NOT.

I'm probably not going to do CW in a month unless my station is fully working
again.