[3830] CQWW SSB KM4SII SO(A)AB Rookie LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, km4siinc@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KM4SII SO(A)AB Rookie LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 03:18:50 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KM4SII
Operator(s): KM4SII
Station: KM4SII

Class: SO(A)AB LP
Class Overlay: Rookie
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:   62    12       31
   20:  177    21       65
   15:  130    17       56
   10:   31     8       17
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

A fun contest as always, but it was rough being confined to the general class
frequencies allocations only (for example, on 40m I can't operate below 7175 and
on 20m not below 14225). Oh well. I'll upgrade when school calms down some :) I
was able to narrowly beat my score from last year despite less operating time -
I had to quit early and got full night's sleep both nights!

I operated from the porch most of the contest in order to have shorter coax runs
and thus get a few more watts out. I operated about 90% search and pounce. Only
ran once or twice.

My portable vertical worked surprisingly well on 40m (that's the only band I
used it on). I was able to work several VK and KH6s on it! I used the main delta
loop on all the other bands. 20m was full (and I mean full) of huge signals and
tons of QRM. Sometimes it was hard to be heard over all the splatter. There was
also an exceptionally strong JA/UA0 opening on 20m both evenings, but seemingly
few Asia stations taking advantage of it by running.

15m was in great shape on Saturday to Europe for a good bit and I was even able
to get a few short runs going. The band was open again on Sunday, but not nearly
as well. 10m was full of booming signals to the south on Saturday, but never
opened here on Sunday.

Nice to see some decent DX on in the contest! I was able to work XT2SZZ and PY0F
on 20m as well as ZS6TVB on 15m. I also heard 7Q6M on 15m but didn't get through
after trying for a bit.

All and all great fun! CU in the next one de KM4SII - Mason (15 years old)

Power: ~90w
Rig: Yaesu FT-450d
Antennas: Dipole @ 25 feet/vertical @ 30 feet (40m); Delta loop @ 60 feet
(20-10m)