[3830] CQWW SSB K1LT SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K1LT SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 03:37:47 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:   34     5       20
   80:   69     9       50
   40:   79    18       55
   20:  262    30      107
   15:  289    27       99
   10:   12     3        5
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I went into the CQ WW SSB contest with no goals or expectations other
than to make enough points in the year-long Grid Chase to advance to
the next rank.  I am guessing that about one third of my SSB QSOs will
count as a point for the Grid Chase.

Since Grid Chase points accumulate as one works new grids on new bands
and modes each month, the best strategy is to work as wide a variety
of locations as possible.  Thus the assisted click-and-pounce
operating style seemed like a compatible strategy, especially since
that I what I normally do in SSB DX contests.

I missed the first couple of hours because of a high school football
game (I volunteer in the concession stand while my kid marches in the
band) and I missed a couple of hours near the end while hauling the
kid to and from a Halloween gathering and standing by for several
little thunderstorms.  I didn't try to stay up late or get up early
and I took a break frequently to keep up with household chores.

40 meters was very frustrating.  I have never felt so powerless at
this point in my ham radio career.  From other 3830 comments, it
sounds like that was the nature of the propagation although I kept
wondering if someone forgot to turn of the Europe-based broad-band
jamming machine.  I could hear numerous strong signals that would just
CQ in my face when I called them.  Friday night was the worst.  It was
easier to make contacts on 160 than on 40.  Saturday night was better,
but not much.  Sunday evening was almost normal.  I doubled my 40
multiplier total in the last 3 hours.

80 meters was better than 40 but not nearly as good as other years.
160 meters seemed fairly normal although many of the typically loud
stations were missing.

There is no surprise multiplier because I only CQ'd for a couple of
minutes without getting any calls.  I decided I didn't want to be
yelled at for various obscure reasons that seem to make some people
really get upset.  I'll save that for when conditions are good.

I chased 7Q6M for a while on 20 because I worked him reasonably easily
on 15 and there were no other new multipliers to chase.  The first
part of chase was interrupted when a strong stateside station got
stuck transmitting his pre-recorded call over and over again.  At
first it sounded like DQRM but I suspect it was a remote operating
malfunction.  The problem went away after about 10 minutes but 7Q6M
was forced to move to another frequency.  I don't recall hearing that
call any more after that.  It retrospect it was kind of humorous in a
'glad that didn't happen to me' sort of way.

I may have missed some of the Saturday 10-meter opening because I'm
not sure when it started.  I did catch a few Caribbean and South
American stations on 10.  I worked only PJ4G on all 6 bands but 15
stations on 5 bands.

I worked UW5EJX/MM in zone 36 on 20 meters.  Writelog gave multiplier
credit but no QSO points.  I'll have to check the rules to see if they
agree with Writelog.  I've worked UW5EJX on FT8 a few times for
interesting grids.

I had a short chat with K4AJA/VP9 on 160 meters.  He is an old W8LT
alumni who had his on station in one of the tall dorm buildings way
back when his call was WB4FSZ.  I hope I am remembering all the
details correctly.  It will be interesting to see how one can squash 2
competitive HF stations on 1 Bermuda.

Worked 4X, 5B, 5H, 6W, 7Q, 7X, 8P, 8R, 9A, 9Q, 9X, 9Y, A4, A6, A7, BY,
C3, CE, CM, CN, CT, CT3, CU, CX, D4, DL, E7, EA, EA6, EA8, EA9, EI,
ES, EU, F, FG, FM, FR, FY, G, GD, GI, GJ, GM, GW, HA, HB, HB0, HC, HH,
HI, HK, HK0/a, HP, HZ, I, IS, IT9, J6, JA, JW, K, KH2, KH6, KL, KP2,
KP4, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON, OX, OZ, P4, PA,
PJ2, PJ4, PJ7, PY, PY0F, PZ, S5, SM, SP, SV, SV9, TA, TF, TG, TI, UA,
UA2, UA9, UR, V2, V4, VE, VK, VP2M, VP5, VP6, VP9, XE, XT, YL, YO, YU,
YV, Z2, ZF, ZL, ZP, and ZS for a total of 121 entities.  Not very many
zones.

Equipment: K3, P3, 8410.  X7 at 60 feet in one ear and another X7 at
100 feet in the other ear.  Verticals on the ground on 40, 80, and
160.  SDR and phased array of short verticals on 160 for receiving
part of the time.