[3830] CQWW SSB KU2M SOSB20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KU2M SOSB20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 17:45:41 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: Wayne, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2046    34      126
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2046    34      126  Total Score = 907,840

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Here we are at the bottom of the Cycle and I'm not nearly close enough to the
equator to make things fun up on 15 or 10, so, 20M was the choice. Lots of fun,
though; I can only imagine what it's like when sunspots are plentiful and the
band stays open past 7:30 PM. In uncharacteristic form, I can't complain about
anything this year; there were no catastrophic weather events or power failures,
no overt equipment breakdowns, and no horrific solar events. I didn't even get a
whole lot of dupe calls on Dupeday (some people call it Sunday) this year,
although one big station from EU called in FIVE times until I finally cried
"uncle" and worked him for a dupe. Openings to JA were quite good on
both Saturday and Dupeday evening, though I heard no BYs except a half hour
before the contest began on Friday. Of course, as soon as the starting bell
rang, the band died to Asia. So, what do you want, everything? Well, maybe not
everything, but how about this: while I was running on Dupeday morning (which
showed better conditions overall than Saturday) I picked out what sounded like a
partial USA 2X1 call and figured it was a call from a W5 who needed zone 5 or
whatever. I called out "I've got 'something-alpha-five-alpha'- what's the
rest of it?" And the guy comes back and says, "THAT'S ALL - JUST
A5A!" I nearly fell off the chair - never was called by Bhutan before, and
probably never will be again! Such are the little things that make these
contests worth the effort.