[3830] CQWW SSB W5PR SOSB10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W5PR SOSB10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 18:01:35 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W5PR
Operator(s): W5PR
Station: W5PR

Class: SOSB10 HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

If next year is supposed to be even worse than this year, it will be very
dismal! I got the coax and balun replaced on my 140 ft 10 meter yagi before the
contest, but it didn't seem to be working for the first half of the contest. The
75 foot yagi was always better. I knew it could be conditions, but you can't
help thinking something else was wrong even though the SWR looks ok. The second
half of the contest, the opposite was true. What a relief!
Only made 8 Qs the first night, but 4 were DX, 3 KH6s and the only JA on scatter
at 0043. Saturday morning did not yield a Q out of the local area until ZX5 at
1630. Worked only North and South America plus the Caribbean (slowly) until 1927
when I found CN2A and about 15 minutes later, D4C. I did a lot of tuning as
CQing was difficult due to the poor conditions. Last Q Saturday evening was with
SA at 2246.
The next day the band did not open for me until 1659, again to SA with an HK.
Nothing outside N and S America and Caribbean until my last 2 Qs which were to
ZL at 2252 and 2256. Totally dead after that.
No EU, only the one JA for AS, the 2 AF Qs and for OC, the last 2 ZLs and the 3
KH6s the first night. NEVER EVEN HEARD a VE!!! Arrrg! No XE! Only 21 zero point
US Qs (all in my log, don't worry), barely covered zones 3 and 5.
The Flex radio was amazing for these lousy conditions. I could put a wide
display of the whole spectrum from 28,380 to 28,520 up and wait for a blip to
appear. The "trail" below it stays on the screen long enough to click
on the signal and fine tune it. I know there is a way to have each trail
"labeled" with the call of the station making it just like in the N1MM
bandmap, but I haven't figured out how to do that. I saw the Flex reps
demonstrating a screen shot of that at the 6m BBQ in Austin. Very cool, but for
the time being, I'll have to stick to watching the N1MM bandmap in conjunction
with the Flex spectrum display.