[3830] SS CW K7QA SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K7QA@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K7QA SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 05:47:22 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K7QA
Operator(s): K7QA
Station: K7QA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs): 21+

------------
  160:
   80:  225
   40:  175
   20:  516
   15:    6
   10:
------------

Club: Big Sky Contesters

Comments:

Spent much of October rehabbing a used 2 ele 40m beam and a bent 50 ft tower we
managed to get installed in the back yard just 2 hours before SS started. Was
hoping it would improve my disappointing 40 meter efficiency. It seemed to work
well for about an hour before something let loose in a heavy rain storm as
Murphy suddenly schwacked me with an 8:1 SWR. Hope it's an easy fix as winter
arrives here next week. Back to the Bobtail for now.

A few annoying new bugs in N1MM logging plus the new xcvr power supply dying
Sunday morning also slowed things down. All 4 bands played well here with 15m
openings to much of the US Sunday midday. Had already worked most of the stns
heard there so it didn't help much for scoring.

Every year presents different mult challenges. While PR and WI are always tough
(missed both), there was an abundance of VT, RI, DE, ENY(missing last year),
KH6, KL7 and all the Canadians this year.

Lots of QRP stations on this year with some louder than quite a few B class
folks. Skyhooks make all the difference. Worked 54 of the Q boys with some
calling CQ and attracting mini pileups. Whenever I'm tempted to think about
trying a QRP entry, I recall the Book of Job and how much he suffered.
Contesting and patience don't really seem to play well together. But I guess of
you get tired of winning with a big signal, QRP would certainly offer a
completely different challenge and help foster better operating and listening
skills.

QA