[3830] SS SSB K0VXU Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K0VXU Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 03:18:20 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K0VXU
Operator(s): K0VXU
Station: K0VXU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KS-USA
Operating Time (hrs): 13:30

------------
  160:
   80:  130
   40:  172
   20:  264
   15:    1
   10:
------------

Club: Kansas City Contest Club

Comments:

K3, TL922A, TH6DXX, SLOPING VEES (80 &40), N1MM+

Just a little over 13 hours with multiple interruptions -- grandkids came and
spent the night Saturday.  A somewhat serious part-time effort.

Well, again, only 82 mults.  Missed WY this time.  Actually heard a WY station
on 80 meters and tried to call him and blew up the amplifier.  Something wrong
with loading on 80.  That happened about after about 5 hours of operation.
Spent the rest of the contest running low power but reporting high power.

The big catch was Vo1BQ on 80 toward the end of the contest.  I had already
worked VY1AAA, KH6, and KL7 at the beginning of contest and felt confident I
could pull of a sweep.  But that WY was really elusive, so only 82 AGAIN.

Conditions seemed vary up and down.  Just before the contest started I spoke
wiht KH7XS on 15 meters and had him lined up as my first QSO.  But then about 10
minutes before start of contest he faded out completely.  I spoke with him on 40
during the contest and he said the first hour for him as a disaster...no prop.
The lone 15 meter contact for me was KP4G.  Earlier I managed to find KP2v on 20
meters.

So, this time it was about 50% run and 50% chasing mults.  Not an impressive Q
total.

Great fun, though, as I found many friends active in the test.  The exchange
seems to separate the contesters from the casual operators.  More of a real test
of operating ability.

Thanks to all who pulled me through, especially after the linear went down.
VO1BQ wins the prize for that one.  How he heard me through the noise and
clutter was amazing.

Lots of big signals on the bands and lots of activity.  I only heard a few
people grousing about the contest on 80 meters.  Most contesters were
gentlemenly about moving away from QSO's.

Hope I stick around for another SS.  See you next year?

73,
Russ - K0VXU