[3830] SS SSB K3ZJ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K3ZJ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 03:48:10 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3ZJ
Operator(s): K3ZJ
Station: K3ZJ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 8:57

------------
  160:
   80:  134
   40:  100
   20:   30
   15:    6
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had a conflict that precluded driving to my WV QTH this weekend. But Saturday
evening I "got the bug" and realized that I had an OCF multi-band wire
at home for repair.  So I did the repaors, found my spare rig, and mounted the
antenna on a bamboo sitting on the second floor (first floor European) master
bedroom balcony. This succeeded in getting the OCF about 2 feet (< 1 meter)
above roof level, with ends tied off with string to trees at about 6 feet (2
meters) above ground. Higher part of house blocked E through SE, so took some
calling to get Fred, K3ZO, who lives SE of my QTH. But Fred has great ears and
got me through. Other than that, worked OK for what it was.  I enjoyed being in
the relaxed mode and casually listening to other ops.  Was interesting that some
fairly weak signal kilowatts responded immediately, while some LP stations never
answered.  I did have a problems to the NW on 20, as most VE and KL multipliers
on 20 did not hear me calling.

I hope ops entered what I sent, rather than relying on SCP lists. I haven't
operated from my VA home since 1986, which predates the SCP lists. Now I have to
figure out how to get a new certificate for LoTW....

73, See you next year,
Dave K3ZJ