[3830] SS SSB W5WZ Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W5WZ@w5wz.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W5WZ Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 15:19:27 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W5WZ
Operator(s): W5WZ KN5O WM5H K5ER WA5VQP
Station: W5WZ

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 24:00

------------
  160:    0
   80:  333
   40:  732
   20:  681
   15:    7
   10:    0
------------

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Coming off last years' 2nd place finish in the Multi-Op High category,
expectations were high this year for the Louisiana Contest Club team of W5WZ,
KN5O, WM5H, K5ER, WA5VQP (with guest observers KW5MOM, KF5MTH, KF5GDK, WW5RC and
W5LA).  We've learned by experience that the years with little to no propagation
on 10 and 15 meters actually favors our location in Louisiana, and this year
seemed to be the perfect conditions for an assault on the #1 multi-op spot.

The W5WZ station was ready, the ops were excited, and the weather was perfect -
no fronts or thunderstorms predicted anywhere in the region.  We were going to
do great!

We opened the contest with with W5WZ on 20m and KN5O on 40m (the IC-7610 band
scope at the mult position had ZERO signals on 15m in the 30 minutes leading up
to the start).  We had a 212 QSO first hour & 60 sections in the log - our
best ever hour in SS SSB by more than 60 QSOs - followed by a 155 Q and 123 Q
hour. With that start, we thought this was going to be a great contest.

Further adding to the excitement and anticipation, using our secret weapon - our
very own Multiplier Bloodhound, Bobby WM5H - we completed the Clean Sweep at 3
hours 50 minutes into the contest.  Yes, this was gonna be the big one!

But it was not to be. The rate quickly collapsed to 68 (0100 to 0159 UTC).
After that, for the rest of the contest we only managed 2 hours above 100/hr
(0200-0259 & 0500-0559 UTC), and the average rate the rest of the contest
was a dismal 60 QSOs per hour, with 2 hours of only 21 QSOs thrown in for good
measure.

>From our location it seemed that 20 meters had great propagation to all the
places with no hams: IA, ND, SD, MB, SK.  And on 40 meters, the band had QSB
like you'd expect on 15 meters right before the band closes at night (if you
remember that!).  While receiving an exchange, signals would go from strong to
inaudible and back again.

When it was over, we were 75 QSOs off last year's pace, and along the way we
heard other M stations with higher numbers than ours.  Congratulations to namely
KH7XS, K5TR and others.

As always, the company was great, we had lots of fun, and fantastic food to
boot.
WA5VQP - 10 pounds of potato salad
KW5MOM - 2 gallons of killer chili
WM5H - sloppy joes, turkey tetrazzini and coleslaw, along with pounds of
excellent deli meat
Very special thanks to Becky KB5SUI - for the traditional tray of contest
brownies!  Thanks for letting us borrow K5ER.  We love you!

Thanks to all for the QSOs!

73, Scott W5WZ, for the Louisiana Contest Club sweeps team of

W5WZ, KN5O, WM5H, K5ER, WA5VQP
Honorary op KB5SUI
Station guests WW5RC, W5LA, KW5MOM, KF5GDK, KF5MTH