[3830] CQWW CW VP5M(K4QPL) SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4qpl2@nc.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VP5M(K4QPL) SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 01:45:21 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VP5M
Operator(s): K4QPL
Station: VP5M

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: VP5
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:    0     0        0
   80:  366    15       47
   40:  938    20       69
   20: 1012    21       58
   15:  227    13       21
   10:    1     1        1
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a far less competitive effort than the past two years when we did M/S
LP with AA4NC.
Family and travel arrangements meant I only arrived Saturday afternoon when the
contest was half over so anything more than "Classic Overlay" was
impossible. I brought some new stuff for a 160M antenna but there just wasn't
time to put it up without further limiting op time.
Official clock using min of 60 minute off times means for those of us who are
not "iron men" there is a lot of unofficial time off. High power is
also relative with a KPA-500 amp.

Band conditions seemed pretty good with longer hours open to more places than I
would have expected. This added to the fun of being "fresh meat" for
activity and multiplier only in the second half. Huge pileups which were
challenging for me but mostly fun.

I made a decision to run full time since Classic requires you to be unassisted
and chasing mults by pure S&P is not terribly productive. The imbalance of
Q's to mults is obvious that I relied on the mults coming to me rather than the
other way around.

No serious eqiupment problems and the antennas work well. 160m for a few more
mults would have helped but probably not worth the time tradeoff in this
situation.

Equipment:
Elecraft K3, Elecraft KPA-500 amp with KPAT-500 Antenna tuner.

Antennas: SteppIR with loop dipole on 40M, Inverted Vee for 80M.

Thanks for all the Q's.

73,
Jim, K4QPL, VP5M