[3830] CQWW CW VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SO(A)SB80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SO(A)SB80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 17:01:02 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6JY

Class: SO(A)SB80 HP
QTH: AB
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:
   80:  896    28       91
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Initially it was a toss-up between 40m or 80m but decided it was time to try 80m
for the first time since 2010. Conditions were fairly good up here this weekend
but I sure wish I understood 80m propagation better. The solar numbers were
essentially identical for Thursday through Sunday yet we had an excellent JA
opening on Friday morning and almost no JA’s on Saturday or Sunday morning
except for the big gun contest stations. Europe was excellent on Thursday
evening, fairly good on Friday and somewhat mediocre on Saturday. I closed down
at 1600z on Sunday morning but then the band was excellent to Eu on Sunday
afternoon and I missed it.
Heard several Eu mults that were very weak and just couldn’t make a contact
being this far west. Not much activity out of the Pacific and Asia was
difficult.
A couple of equipment glitches. The homebrew amp failed on Friday evening and
was replaced with the reliable Alpha 77D, The NW leg pf the 4-square heard well
but had a high SWR and couldn’t be used on transmit.

As always Don was a great host making the station available and making sure I
had enough to eat and drink.

Equipment:
ICOM 7610, Alpha77 amp and 2 4-squares