[3830] CQWW CW WO1N SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wo1n@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WO1N SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 05:28:48 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:   30    11       15
   80:  150    17       66
   40:  243    24       96
   20:  383    24       92
   15:   84    20       53
   10:    1     1        1
------------------------------
Total:  891    97      323  Total Score = 1,047,060

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station: FTdx5000, C3-SS@38', R7, 80M C, 40MDipole@50,
DX-LB Traploaded L (for 160), N1MM+

Soapbox :

Lot's of pre-contest station prep for this one. Deployed the super-magic
DX-LB "L" early Friday to give me something for 160. Did significant
RFI
hunting, albeit with no results, in the days prior to the contest, but now
I've got a set of tools to keep at it. All CFL's have now been replaced by LED
lights. Eliminated 2 more wall warts from the station set-up. Spent
some time establishing an un-calibrated RF spectrum baseline using an
SDR-IQ. Deployed common mode chokes at the bulkhead entry and radio
antenna input. Could not measure a reduced noise floor, but they did not hurt
anything.

Started on-time. Conditions were fantastic. Mostly search and pounce until
the first planned break at 0900Z (4:00 AM local). I was able to get in
and out of pileups relatively quickly and everything just felt good.
One 14 Q run on 40M.

Back on bright and early but got trapped into S&P mode. No running during
the first morning hours. That with a 2.5 hour break to continue the fall cleanup
pretty much killed Saturday. Raking leaves covered by snow is a
drag. By the  time I got back to the radio 20 - 10 were only good for mult
hunting.

423Q's at the half-way point. 2nd night conditions were very good but with
some static crashes from an approaching rain storm. Another 2 hour break to be
fresh for Eu sunrise. Didn't spend much time on 160M the 2nd night but managed
to work KH7B first call on the super-magic DX-LB "L". Post contest
analysis identifies one new 160 band country worked, also (9Y4).

Planned break at 0900Z, again, back at it by 1130Z on the 2nd day. Good 2
hour run on 20 for 185Q/98Hr on a frequency high up in the band, cleared
for me by K1AR (thanks, John!). Kept an eye on 15M and moved there at 1430Z
but by the time I swept up all of the available mults the band was not
runnable with my 38' tribander.

N1MM says 11 hours off, but I'd add about another 2 hours to that, so let's
say 35 hours. I continue to get caught out by the early high-band closing
times, I really should pre-read my write-ups from prior efforts before the
contest.

CU in the next one,

Ken - WO1N