[3830] CQWW CW HA3LN SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, csaba@ha3ln.hu
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW HA3LN SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:05:09 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: HA3LN
Operator(s): HA3LN
Station: HA3LN

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: EEU
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  233    11       58
   80:  775    24       93
   40: 1469    37      138
   20: 1055    36      126
   15:   90    18       52
   10:   34     4       17
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

This was the first real SOAB activity for me. I managed to make the full 48
hours. As I had 24 hours so far this was a very new experience. The first 24
went in a blink but after the 36th it started to become a tough game. I prepared
everything I could to make it physically more convenient (chair, lumbar and foot
support, etc.) but there is no acceptable body position after this long time in
the same chair. But this pain was negligible to the mental hardship. It was
funny to see that when the brain “sends” the command to the hand but the
hand did not start to move and execute. I had 2x short dead points when I simply

called CQ now I hope not too many callers considered me a deaf lid. Need to
find
other energizer for the 2nd day as the coffee did not make any difference.
Never made so many keyboard handling errors like in this period when the easy
splanchnic moves did not reach the targeted buttons either… I apprehensively
looking forward to the UBN… :-) If I consider the final end result it would be

wise to cut the 48hours onto 2x chunks having a 90mins nap somewhere @halfway.

Still I have to practice more the WT “CapsLock” binding SO2R philosophy. I
sent
several msgs to the wrong radio making big surprise to the caller stn. Sorry
for the confusion.

It seems I killed the 2nd radio as unfortunately it was way too quiet on Sat. I
took risk making SO2R using a lower isolation BPF-set and seems the risk is not
risk anymore. Trying to avoid the full demolishment I gave up the 2nd radio
around 2/3 way. Due to the limited adjacent band attenuation I could use the
2nd
trx on certain band combinations so actually had no optimal usage of it.

Finally managed to fix the low band vertical switching relay issue and I could
use top band with full throttle as well. Funnily enough there was a broken
piece
of wire in the cable. I should be happy about to find it but took 3 painful
long hours to accomplish this.

Interesting to see that the mults usually took freq in the higher portion of
the
band. I tuned the antennas to the first quarter of both 160m and 80m so if any
mult was CQing above 1825 or 3540 I simply let CQ did not dare to call.

I definitely need more DX to the log. However I have fairly high number of QSOs
still not enough to reach the top part of the table. Beside I still left too
many mults in the bands the 1.77 point/qso is low.

Propagation…
10m was dead, even the obvious z20 is missed but literally there was no
“channel” to that direction. I tried several times and rotated the antenna
like
a fun but that was it. I don’t know how but 6V7A called in out of the blue. I

thought someone funny is making a joke but had to realize after the 3rd attempt
this was real. Thanks for the perseverance.
15m I still have the 3el 3 bander @5m high. I am amazed how the VK stns I
called
replied to the first call right away. This is the first on the todo list for
2019.
Both 20m and 40m was the real carrier. I was tempted to 40m from 20m too early
on Sat and guess lost 2 hours of good NA opening. Need to see the stats but as
impression the activity from JA was high as least what I experienced so far.
The
total number of the different JA callsigns must be above 100. I really curious
what could happen with 40m if I could upgrade from the ¼ vertical to a 2el
Yagi.
80m was good and felt a bit better towards the NA compared to 40m. Stats might
prove this but the Inv-L worked good there.
160m was the usual noise maker. Man how tiring is that without RX antennas.
Actually same is valid to 80m as well.

The icing on the cake I had yearly operational performance review meeting
@09:00
on Mon. No need to say I was not in the best shape but managed to fix it as
well.

I feel completely wrecked, but I loved this...
However I broke a radio but happy with the result. I learnt a lot which can be
used for the next season.

Thanks a lot for the calls and see you next year.

73!
Csaba  HA3LN
http://ha3ln.hu/