[3830] CQWW CW PJ2T M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, geneshea@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW PJ2T M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 01:01:14 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): K5NA DF9LJ W1FJ KB7Q N7IR KY7M W0CG G4IRN K2PLF K5DU
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  1111    24       91
   80:  2143    29      101
   40:  3398    34      135
   20:  3094    36      136
   15:  2104    32      114
   10:    79    15       30
-------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Our Caribbean Contesting Consortium effort almost got waylaid before it even
started this year. KB7Q, W1FJ, K5NA, and K5DU from Stateside found themselves on
a Boeing 737 that the crew wouldn’t fly to Curacao with three suspect tires.
Four hours later with a replacement plane and a new cockpit crew they finally
climbed out of Miami. G4IRN and DL9LJ coming from Europe had a 747 that
wouldn’t move back from the gate. Same story - a delay until a new jumbo jet
was found and passengers and luggage were swapped over.  Even N7IR and KY7M were
delayed on the late flight from Miami. All’s well that ends well – by 10 PM
local time we had our full team safely at Signal Point, Curacao.

On island preparations were super easy this year, we just replaced one computer,
and confirmed that our Beverage antennas strung through the pucker brush were
still properly terminated. Mains power, the DSL connection for spots, N1MM+
Logger/computers, and the weather all were perfect the whole week.

Given the experience and skill of this year’s crew the contest was an
efficient, low drama effort to wring the most from the bottom of the sun spot
cycle. As expected, the low bands played very well, while the upper bands were
soft this year. 40M was once again the money band!

Some highlights:
Al, W1FJ made 638 contacts on 80M during the first four hours of the contest to
show us how low bands are done.

Joerg, DL9LJ romped to a 226/Q hour at the peak of Saturday’s 15 meter
opening.

Richard, K5NA, a new face at PJ2T, was an ironman with two “BIC” nights on
160M for 1100 contacts.

10 Meters never really got going, but Susan, K5DU was able to grab multipliers
for us as they popped up including KH6LC.

John, G4IRN ran rate when he could on 20 Meters, and tenaciously vacuumed up
every multiplier possible when he couldn’t.

Gary, N7IR and Gene, KB7Q posted their highest single hour contest QSO rates
ever.

Lee, KY7M was our best utility player logging seat time on four bands.

Dorothy with help from Joyce, Susan, and Zi treated the crew to a perfect
Thanksgiving feast complete with all the trimmings.

Thanks to Jim, W8WTS for the use of his curated Telnet Cluster.

Fred, NA2U never made it to the 40M hot seat as he had a family medical
emergency just before he was to leave for Curacao, but he ensured the team
shirts he designed showed up.

All of the above took place while Geoff, W0CG was mostly outside getting ready
for the European tower replacement slated for early December. The team’s
stronger backs supplied day labor to remove a tree that was in the way for the
expected ground work. The new 100 feet of Rohn 55 is assembled, prepped, and
ready for erection – the crane cometh. We ran the contest with a few less
multiplier antennas then normal as they had already been stripped off the old,
salt air eaten derelict tower.

There are some excellent pictures of the contest crew in action, and the tower
project on the PJ2T Facebook page.
73,
Gene, KB7Q