[3830] ARRL 160 W4PK SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W4PK SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 19:37:59 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 13

Total:  QSOs = 719  Sections = 72  Countries = 29  Total Score = 156,146

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were definitively better Friday evening.  I had several of the
European skimmers pick up my call that evening but only one on Saturday night,
and it was something like only 3-5 dB. Also, on Saturday night I experienced a
lot of rapid QSB and also more noise, which of course made copy more difficult.

Saturday morning was so-so, I never heard AK, KH6 or JA which in past years I
could always count on.  Sunday morning was even worse, I could hear several
California stations but none could hear me.  However, maybe it was because of my
Beverages and I live in the country that I can hear better than being heard!  On
the other hand I had a few call me that even with frantically switching between
Beverages I just could not pull out.

About half of my contacts were made by running, usually way up the band so that
my frequency was clear on both sides, and I did have several Europeans call!
Those I had worked while searching were more difficult to work because of close
by (and much stronger) signals and also many were calling.  There was a LY
station CQing under a strong SSB station on 1860KHz and I was actually copying
him but I did not want to disturb the SSB rag-chewing.  I tried other LY
stations elsewhere but I was not successful putting that country into the log.
The same can be said for the South American station (in Brazil, if I remember
correctly) who was not copying anybody, at least when I tried to work him.

I worked a lot of PVRC members, and it was good to hear everyone on!

73, Sam W4PK