[3830] ARRL 160 AC0C SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jeff@ac0c.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 AC0C SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 00:12:18 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AC0C
Operator(s): AC0C
Station: AC0C

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 9:20

Total:  QSOs = 840  Sections = 74  Countries = 22  Total Score = 169,056

Club: Kansas City Contest Club

Comments:

First 1-2 hours of the contest were great - until the QRN started up.

Severe thunderstorms literally wrapped the area with QRN generating activity
killing rate and pushing me off the air a few times, finally causing a full
shutdown as the lightning detector started going nuts.  Normally the HiZ 8 will
let me put the back of the array to oncoming storms and leave the band workable
but with the storms surrounding the entire midwest there was no quiet
direction.

The second night was somewhat better with QRN abating verrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy
slllllooooooowwwwwwwlllllyyyyy helping first copy call success.  Very sorry to
all the guys who had to send and resend and resend bits of the exchange.

Worked a few EU DX stations who were exceptionally loud - or had the good luck
of calling just right to allow copy between thunder crashes.  But EU DX was a
bust for the most part here.  There were lots of callers at and under the storm
QRN level that I had no chance to pull out.

No gear problems - very nice given the skimmer and shack PC were both new for
this contest.  One of the QS1R was not working and later I found a disconnected
antenna feed - fortunately that was the extent of the operator errors!

Look for you all in the CQ 160 next month.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com