[3830] ARRL 10 NX5M M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 NX5M M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 02:09:43 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M N5XJ KU5B KJ5T N5DUW
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 28

   CW:  528    74
  SSB:  160    48
-------------------
Total:  688   122  Total Score = 296,704

Club:

Comments:

It is not often that I tell a rather long story but this time it is necessary.
About 7 weeks ago I suffered a major heart attack.  It came without warning.  I
had not experienced any shortness of breath, discomfort or pain of any kind.
Being a football official I stay in pretty decent shape and just days before I
had to cover a 100 yard run after a turnover.  I was fine.  No issues.  As fate
would have it a sudden change of events was about to unfold less than a week
later.  I had 100% blockage in the widow-maker while all else was in good shape.
 Genetics, according to my doctor, had to be the determining factor.  I was 10
minutes from being a silent key and the doctor said that if I were not in the
physical condition I am in….I probably would not be here.
I have a new perspective on life after this.  I want to spend more time with
family and friends.  I was lucky to see my 58th birthday this past Wednesday.
This has changed me in ways that are hard to put into words.  I cherish the time
I get to spend with the team that operated the station this weekend.  It was not
totally about operating but mostly about being in their company.  It was great
to work so many familiar calls.  Operating and spending time with friends in one
of the environments I love made me feel alive again.
Friday night was a decent first few hours but due to a lightning threat I did
not connect the big antennas.  Instead, a simple hex beam at 35 feet was used
for the first hour or so.  Around 0115z I put on the rubber boots and a raincoat
while N5XJ carried a flashlight and an umbrella.  It was raining heavily and the
wind was blowing hard out of the north but it was time to connect the main
antenna set.  XJ’s pants got soaked due to the horizontal rain so I had to
throw his jeans into the dryer and have him something else to put on until they
were dry.  We both came back inside wet and cold but it was worth it because the
band was getting better.
Saturday had some decent openings but by late afternoon there was little to be
excited about.  Saturday night saw a brief marginal opening here so we made the
best of what was offered.  What other choice is there?
Sunday…….not much to say.  It was a day like the whole weekend last year.
We ate well, as usual.  Donuts Saturday morning.   Pizza for lunch. Smoked
chicken made on the pit by N5XJ with pinto beans courtesy of my wife for dinner.
 Scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast Sunday and hamburgers from a local store
for lunch.
I feel fortunate to have been able to do this.  I will continue to work on my
rehab.  My therapist asked what my goal was.  I responded by saying “get me
back on the football field”.  That is my goal and if I can do that I will
consider myself to be OK.  Perhaps even finish the station build as soon as
possible.