[3830] ARRL 10 W6YX(N7MH) SO CW Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W6YX(N7MH) SO CW Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 11:02:00 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SO CW Unlimited HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 15:20
Radios: SO2R

   CW:  436    52
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  436    52  Total Score = 90,688

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I was hoping to get a KH6, ZL or VK in the last few hours but with just under
two hours left the line voltage in the W6YX shack dropped to 55 V. My logging
computer, a desktop, turned off immediately as did the one K3 I was using. I was
finally able to retrieve my log today. Not sure when the power company fixed it
after we notified them.

Our primary rotatable antenna for 10, a 6-element Telrex monobander, was too
quiet and nobody outside of the local area was hearing me when I called. The amp
showed a low SWR but I think there is a problem with the feedline, possibly
water intrusion.

So I used two fixed antennas, a 105CA and a C31XR, plus a rotatable KT34XA.
These antennas are too close to each other for effective SO2R so I only made a
few second-radio QSOs with stations louder than the QRM from my primary radio.
Most of the time my second radio was off.

Except for the one really good opening on Saturday most of the time there were
only a few signals on the band. I always have a hard time seeing the weak
signals in the P3 waterfall so I hit on a strategy of using the Peak Hold
function, investigating every little blip that stuck up above the background
noise. Then clearing and restarting the Peak Hold after identifying all of the
blips.

The logging software shows 15 hours but I was listening and CQing much more than
that, probably closer to 22 hours.

I worked all mults in the 2, 3, 4, 8 and 9 call areas. In W1 I only got VT and
RI, usually the two hardest to get. I called K1KI many times but he was working
closer stations and didn't hear me. Missed DC, OK, HI, AK, then a bunch of 0's -
IA, MN, NE, ND, SD. Only got VE3, VE5, VE6, and VE7 in Canada. DX I worked was
9Y, CE, CX, HK, J3, LU, P4, PY, YV. Two XE's were both in BCS.

Thanks for all the Qs.

73,
-Mike, N7MH