[3830] RAC Winter K6DAJ(@N6RO) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter K6DAJ(@N6RO) SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 05:21:03 +0000
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: K6DAJ
Operator(s): K6DAJ
Station: N6RO

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Oakley, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 18.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   72              7
   80:  171              9
   40:  335             10
   20:  316             12
   15:  100              7
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:  994     0       45         0  Total Score = 216,900

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

My first time doing SO2R on CW. What a blast! Of course, it helps to be
operating at a spectacular station. It was also the largest percentage of a 24
hour contest that I've ever operated.

Chose SO rather than M/S to avoid band-switching limitations. Was considering
mixed, but decided to do CW-only to practice "classic" SO2R CW
technique. And without RBN spots, there were plenty to do.

Many thanks to Ken (N6RO) for hosting me and showing me the ropes. Also thanks
to Gary (NA6O) for helping on many fronts at N6RO.

Bands were in pretty good shape, though 15 closed early.

Got off to a decent start, but adjusting to the SO2R technique slowed me down at
first. (Tried hard not to think about AA3B and N8OO leaving me in the dust!)
Began on 20/40 then bounced between 40/80 and 80/160 until 1 AM local time, then
took 2 hours for pseudo-sleep. Got up at 3:30 AM (local) for East coast sunrise
and caught a few needed mults on 40 and worked more 160 & 80, including a GW
on 80.  Then a couple more hours of so-called sleep. Hit the ground running at 8
AM, and the rates felt like the contest had started over again. 20/15 was great
for a few hours. 40 opened very early to E. Coast and Europe and 15 deteriorated
early, so moved to 20/40 for the mad dash to the finish line, which I had hoped
would be 1000+ Qs.  Serial numbers did break 1000, but because of dupes, missed
by six Qs. As for mults, a couple just didn't seem to be on the air, or they
were hiding (and no RBN allowed to uncover them.)

Had a few mishaps (not noticing that the amp had faulted (Doh!), side-tone
mysteriously disappearing, which was quite disconcerting, etc.) but recovered
fairly quickly.

Flex 6600M, ACOM and Ameritron amplifiers, yagi stacks on 15, 20 and 40, 4
square vertical arrays on 80 and 160.