[3830] TBDC N9NB Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9nb@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC N9NB Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 15:04:04 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N9NB
Operator(s): N9NB
Station: N9NB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 13.5

Total:  QSOs = 598  Total Score = 2,924

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was such a fun contest - first time working it for any length of time. Had
a blast trying the new dual band vertical antennas that I designed with W5JAW,
and they really seemed to do well --  I would switch them in, and phase them
most of the time (equal length feed to each tower base). I seemed to be louder
than what I could hear, and I apologize to the EU stations I could not work -- I
think they all called me later for a QSO. Thanks to VE9AA for hanging in there
with me!

We will be publishing the unique dual band 80/160 m vertical antenna, that uses
a single feed with no traps, no tuners, and no switches, and relies on an
existing tower, in QST sometime in 2019. I used a stack match to phase the 2
verticals at each of the 2 towers, and tried the north and south towers
individually, but phased seemed to always be stronger.

I had a late start, since it seems the latest N1MM+ does not support the bad USB
chips I have in the shack, so I had to use the old N1MM log -- that took me an
hour to debug, and I didnt feel like setting up the MK2R, so I missed the
sunset, but once into the contest, I had a solid 100+ hour the first 2 hours.
Then my south vertical tower failed - I don't know what happened. I don't know
if a wire or coax came loose, or if the stack match got flaky - I ran out in the
dark to wiggle and reinforce wires, no joy. So I used just the north vertical.
Then, a few hours later, its as if Stew Perry visited my station, and magically,
the South tower vertical started working again, and worked throughout the whole
contest. I was able to use the 2 el vertical array and it seemed quite loud.

Was hoping the K index would be better so I could try and work my first JA ever
on 160, but it was not to be. Great fun, though, and this is such a fun time!
Thanks for the contest and all the Qs.

73 ted n9nb

Band     QSOs     Pts  Pt/Q
   1.8     598    2924   4.9