[3830] TBDC G0URR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, G0URRR@outlook.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC G0URR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 18:09:08 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: G0URR
Operator(s): G0URR
Station: G0URR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IO90
Operating Time (hrs): 7.29

Total:  QSOs = 69  Total Score = 239

Club:

Comments:

Hello everyone that managed to dig my tiny signal out from the noise.
This goes on a bit as it was an interesting challenge and I really enjoy reading
everyone elses comments, hopefully you will enjoy ready mine.
I decided to enter the contest as a fully mobile station as per VE9AA
description, Mike is very generously sponsoring the plaque for a mobile station
entry.
First thing was to purchase a top band antenna. Simple choice, ampro 160. So a
week before the contest begins and I am installing the ampro to see if it works
in any way worth using. I was driving home each evening, in the dark and working
stations all over the UK with not exactly ease, but definitely being heard and
holding a qso whilst driving. I also found out where all the low branches are, I
live and drive through the New Forest on the south coast of the UK !!So, the
29th comes around and im thinking I may actually make a contact or two, Mike was
sending me pictures of his set up and my antenna was definitely a small gun
compared to his monster. I live near the sea, so I had to find a spot on the
coast. I had been to a local beach many times and decided to start the contest
at sunset, have a break and then go out again for the hours before sunrise. So,
picture my car sat on the beach, engine running, laptop on my lap, radio
(IC7300) on the passenger seat. All ok for a while, then I realise the car has
sunk into the shingle, needless to say, by the time I have finished, its up to
its axles. Hmm, time to call my recovery providers, the Royal Automobile Club,
at least a three hour wait, so that's ok, im contesting. Next thing, the tide is
coming in !! by the time the guy arrives and decides that he is not getting his
truck anywhere near mine, in case he sinks too and the water is now lapping the
door seals. Still its ok because ive been contesting and he is here now. The
only way we could remove the car was with 4 towing strops connected together and
the car dragged out sideways by the rear towing hook. It worked, car out, huge
drag marks up the beach and the underskirt of the car a bit dented !! oh and the
oil sensor warning now on the dash, I checked, no leaks and the oil was well up
the dip stick, phew. That's enough for one session I thought and headed home,
dropping tons of sand and shingle at every bump and corner !! Home at last to a
very relieved XYL, spot of dinner and bed. Alarm was set for 4am but at 2:30 I
am wide awake and coffee in hand im off out into the dark again. Ok, this time I
settle for a proper tarmac car park near the sea but with a row of houses
opposite I was worried about the noise floor. No need to worry, the noise floor
was very low, its amazing how many people are driving around car parks and
walking dogs at odd times of the night, I did get some odd looks !! A few lights
came on in the houses throughout the night and I do hope that they did not have
electrical devices unexpectantly misbehaving !! I was instantly in the mix with
NP2J in the log !! I had to look up the call just to double check that my signal
was actually crossing the pond. I could hear a lot of US stations but only
managed a few in the log, most of those came at or just after my sunrise, NP2J
was strong all night as was K3LL and a VE2 but I didn't manage to get him. There
were a lot of EU stations working each other and trying to work the guys across
the pond and some were doing very well. Scores could be very good I think. I
managed 69 contacts, on a mode that im not fond off, I love RTTY contesting, and
not in the most comfortable of conditions, sitting in the car all night. Once
again thank you to Mike VE9AA for sponsoring the plaque, thanks to LEW for the
amusing email reminders and to the Boring club for organising the contest. I am
and always will be Robb, G0URR