[3830] TBDC K1WHS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1WHS@metrocast.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1WHS Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 18:18:13 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN43mj
Operating Time (hrs): 6

Total:  QSOs = 451  Total Score = 2,550

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Well, time has really caught up with me. I was really looking forward to the
Stew Perry. I was also hard at work re building my old 75A4 receiver and was
staying up until 3 AM for a few nites leading up to the Stew. It sure was fun
repairing and documenting all the changes. When the Stew rolled around, I was
beat. I started at about 5 PM local time. Sunset is a bit after 4 PM. The band
was hopping and I worked over 100 stations in the first hour. That is good for
me with my poor CW skills and tin ear. I could tell that I was tired, and I
mutilated one QSO by accidentally deleting all evidence of a perfectly good
contact with a strong N3 station in PA. (OOPS!)  My brother, K0ZK just happened
to show up at 5 PM and so I let him play around and he had fun while I went and
had dinner. When I got back, I was even more tired and realized that I was
having way too much trouble copying calls. It dawned on me that I was a menace
to myself when I tried to work an EU station with XX in the suffix. I copied it
as YY. Now a Y does not sound anything like an X, but in my defense, Y is next
to X in the alphabet. I went to sleep for a few hours and got up at 04:30 UT and
went back to the shack. Brother Arn had left so I got back on and made Qs for
about 3 hours, but I still felt awful and had trouble concentrating. Things were
working OK I guess. I worked a few HI stations and a bunch of west coasters. I
have a K3 and rigged up a simple RX switch to select beverages. I can
independently choose any beverage wire for each antenna input: Main or Aux RX
antenna for the 2nd receiver. I would have the NE beverage in one ear and the
west beverage in my other ear so I could pull stations out of the noiuse a bit
faster. It worked great, but added some noise to the circuit. Still it was great
to help speed things up. I quit operating with Europe still coming in. It was
about 03:30 UT.  Signals seemed not all that strong, but maybe I was hearing 100
watt stations, Who knows? I went to sleep, and it sure felt good.
    One interesting thing I tried was to drag out my just renotated Collins 75A4
receiver and hook it up to the 160M receiving antennas and listen to the huge
pile of stations on a receiver designed in 1954. The 75A4 did remarkably well,
but it has been highly modified with triode mixers, and an extra 2 kHz
mechanical filter in the IF strip. I also have a 300 Hz Collins crystal filter
in filter position #3 as well as some nifty AVC mods, and my brother and I used
that 300 Hz filter to tune around. He scoffed when I first told him I wanted to
drag out the 75A4, but after listening to it awhile, he had to admit that it
sounded pretty good and did a good job on the crowded band. If it had a slower
tuning rate, I might be inclined to use it more!
    Hopefully next year I am better rested for the Stew, although Father Time
isn't helping my situation. At 74, I'll probably have to stop often for cookies
and warm milk.