[3830] RTTY Roundup AA4LR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup AA4LR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 01:54:24 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 9.7

   80:   100
   40:   212
   20:    38
   15:    18
   10:     0
-----------------------
Total:   368       0  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 15  Total Score = 23,552

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antenna:
80/40m trap dipole in trees about 12m high (all bands)

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/ KAT100 running 100 watts
Startech.com ICUSBAUDIO2D audio adapter
MMTTY

Comments:

No chance of full-time on this contest. Church Sunday, and attended a memorial
service for someone who tragically died in an auto accident on Saturday. Got on
just after 0000z. 40m was hopping. Went to bed before 0330z. Managed to squeeze
in an hour and a half in the morning before church, and the last five hours or
so.

No activity on 10m, and 15m was way long Sunday afternoon. Even 20m seemed weak,
but part of that may have been my lousy antenna.

40m was perfect, though. Felt loud even with 100 watts. Had a blast running
stations. Even 80m was good. In December, I raised the 80/40m trap dipole to
about 12m high at the feed point. Just a few additional meters of height have
made a huge difference.

The K2/100 does an OK job on RTTY. It has a couple of problems that, of course,
are all fixed by the K3. Tuning is a little course at 10 Hz steps, but the
biggest pain is the vastly different gain on each band. The audio level from the
computer has to be adjusted on each band change. I received a new USB sound
card, the ICUSBAUDIO2D. It supports stereo output to 96 kHz and 24 bits, but the
input is mono, and limited to 48 kHz and 16 bits. But, it does have a nice knob
to adjust the output level. Worked well with the K2/100.

Ended up working 45 of 50 states, missing DE, OK, ID, UT, MT. Not bad for just a
few hours of contesting.