[3830] NAQP CW OT6M M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW OT6M M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 17:59:54 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: OT6M
Operator(s): ON9CC PC5A
Station: OT6M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: JO20ws
Operating Time (hrs): 04:20

  160:
   80:   30    19
   40:   99    41
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  129    60  Total Score = 7,740

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Reading the rules of the NAQP it turned out that this contest is not only for NA
stations. And as the nights are long and dark and there is nothing on TV anyway,
we decided to give it a shot.

Since the higher bands were closed at contest start, we had to wait for 40m to
open up, which was around 20:26 and I could work my good friend Steve NR4M :)
QSO rate was slow and the signals weren't really strong. Around 00:30 we tried
80m and made some 30 QSO's, hopping to 160 and back to 40 in between. We found
conditions to be pretty bad and we didn't make a single 160m QSO ... Normally
100W on 160m is not an issue to get over the pond. Anyway, Murphy decided to
stop by this time and somewhere at about 01:45 the main received on the Orion 2
went dead :( ... after trying for an hour or so to kickstart it again we made
another handful of QSO's with only the second RX on the O2. But it seemed as if
someone flipped the condition switch on 80 and 40 too. Signals were down hence
we decided to go to bed early.

So murphy caught us on this one ... afterwards it turned out that the squelch
setting though it had to self adjust and being the reason for the receiver
issue. Kudos to our "Orion addict" Mark PA5MW who found that out the
day after while the O2 was on his workbench.

Station:  IC7800 and Orion2 (interlocked)
Antennas:
   TRX: inverted-L on 26m Spiderpole
   RX:  Hi-Z 4-8 Pro 8-Circle
        300m (reversible) beverage 315°