[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N5RZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb5aar@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N5RZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 21:48:21 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  189   102  Total Score = 23,460

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Condx not too bad for January.  Got home from KH6-land on Thursday, and didn't
have time to get 902 & 1296 going.   Also got a cold Friday night.   Things
were  going well and the rovers kept me busy enough to put in way more time than
planned.

Thanks to local rovers W5DMB/R (40q)  KA5D/R (18q)  KD5IKG/R (10q) and K5ND/R
(3q) for all the Q's and mults.  Also got AC0RA/R on MSK144.  Also, good local
activity helps a lot.

Had a separate operating position for digital modes on 6M.   Was anxious to try
out MSK144 which I had only got going a couple of weeks ago.  Ended up with 13
(random) MSK144 Q's on 6M Sat eve and early Sunday morn.  Fun but requires
patience.  Had to give up on a few along the way.

Didn't get on the 6M FT8 train until 1700Z Sunday.  Probably missed a load of
QSO's due to my procrastination, but still ended up with 56Q's via FT8. A pretty
viable mode given the condx.

Did catch a good short 6M Es opening to the Left Coast Saturday evening on
SSB/CW.

432 condx were pretty punk, and W5DMB/R lost his 70cm equipment early on so not
much to show for that band.   222 continues to amaze - I feel louder there than
on 2M.  I'm still missing my 2M KW - need to get that fixed.   6M was
surprising, even with my puny 3el yagi.   Got some good DX on FT8 --  TI2, TG9,
KP4 and a slew of XE's.   A great Es opening to FL most of Sunday afternoon
helped put lotsa Q's in the log.

Thanks to everyone for all the QSO's and for helping me keep my butt in the
chair for a fine weekend of VHF contesting in spite of my cold.  One of these
days I'll be running on all cylinders on my VHF/UHF equipment/antennas.

6M CW/SSB: Elecraft K3/P3/KPA1500  Digital: Flex3000/Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX,
about 400W     3el Cushcraft 6M yagi @ 51'

2M TS2000X/150W brick  Cushcraft 13B2 @ 55'

222: Microwave Modules 222-28 xvrtr/100W brick + Cushcraft 15 el yagi @ 52'

432: TS2000X/80W brick + Comet A430515 15 el yagi @ 49'