[3830] CQ160 CW WA7AN(K9DR) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9DR@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WA7AN(K9DR) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 21:41:19 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: WA7AN
Operator(s): K9DR
Station: WA7AN

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Mesa, AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 504  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 18  Total Score = 84,663

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Not great conditions, but still managed three new 160 meter countries for me:
CN2CO, D4C and JT5LZ.  Once again, I could work them, if I could hear them...I
just couldn't hear a single EU station, so none are in the log. My K9AY is only
slightly better than using the transmit antenna for receiving.  I think there is
more to be done with it.  If I could fit a Hi-Z in my little yard, I would.

Missed SD, VT and DC and several VE sections, so no clean sweep.  I couldn't
believe how many WY stations were on. It certainly wasn't a rare multiplier in
this contest, so didn't feel bad at not being there this winter.  I sure don't
miss the snow and wind!

I just pulled up last year's CQ 160 CW log and see my score down about 20% from
last year. Even though I put in two more hours this year, my QSO total was down
slightly from last year...504 versus 527.  One more country this year...18
versus 17 last year.  Biggest difference was the State/Province total...51 this
year versus 57 last and the points...1,227 this year versus 1,362 last.  I made
more 10 point QSOs last year, probably with JA's.  Only 3 in the log this year.
Given the conditions and lack of participation from those VE provinces, I did
about as well as might be expected.

Equipment: K3 to AL82 @1,500 Watts. Using 55' feedline to 80 meter Vee acting as
top loaded vertical, or "Tee" antenna, against 16 radials to property
lines of 80' x 120' city lot. K9AY in corner of lot for receiving.