[3830] CQ160 CW K9ZO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K9ZO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:14:47 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: il
Operating Time (hrs): 26:15

Total:  QSOs = 1079  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 35  Total Score = 257,052

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I had planned on having grandkids over, but the snow and cold changed that.
Started 45 minutes late.  I sure could have used those contacts.  Things perked
along just fine for a few hours, but not at a really fast rate.  The first night
I only heard a couple Europeans, but picked up some Caribbean stations. Some of
the Europeans got into the log the second night.  No VE4 or KL7 heard, but there
were VE5, 6, 7 active. The second night there were some weak Europeans and it
took quite a few tries to get them.  Some must have huge receiving antennas to
pick me out!  Since the rate had dropped of it made sense to tune the bands and
try for multipliers.

This is the first 160 single op for me and it was fun, but pointed to the need
for a better TX antenna.  Next year I'll have to have the Titanex verticals. At
the last possible day before the ground froze my wife and son helped put up a
SAL30.  I haven't tuned it yet, but it was excellent.  Most QSOs were using it
since there was not much DX.  Also had the TX antenna which is good because it
was omnidirectional.  The 900 foot NE beverage was amazing. I have not done the
switching for the 500 foot EW and 900 foot SE beverages, but they were not
really needed.

I have been DXing with the Flex 6600 a lot and doing CWTs which helped with call
recognition.

For next year I will have to figure out how to attract more guys and get the
rate up.