[3830] CQ160 CW K8MFO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K8MFO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 13:56:19 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K8MFO
Operator(s): K8MFO
Station: K8MFO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 17+

Total:  QSOs = 1000  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 53  Total Score = 335,331

Club: East Lansing DX Club

Comments:

My usual approach to any contest is to employ absolutely no strategy, sleep when
I'm tired, and try my very best to have FUN.   Such was the case with the 2019
edition of the CQ 160 Contest.   OH, I do make a conscious effort to beat my
score from the very first CQ 160 in 1961.   I made 13 QSOs in that effort!  As I
write this I'm looking at the 1961 log.   All of these contacts were firsts for
me on Top Band, using a Johnson Ranger,  RME4350A receiver, and my Dad's 75
meter dipole up 20 feet. At that time SWR was not even in my vocabulary.    My
very first 160 QSO was with W0VXO/9 in IL.   Those with keen memories will
realize that guy is still generating RF on 160 as KV4FZ.   He still responds to
me.  Thanks Herb!    The other 12 QSOs were W2FYT, K0PAU, K8HBR/9, W0NWX (Bob
Dennison, later W0DX and VP2VI, once ARRL President), W2SSC, K9MBR, W0RHI, K2DGT
(presently W6PU in NM, still playing with grey lines and such!), W4KFC (an
example for all of us to follow), W8QWI (later a good personal friend), W8FGX
(40 meter powerhouse, later Cincinnati Chief of Police) and W0GJT.

I have a lot of thoughts about the differences in the 160 contests in the good
old days, and those of today.   Will not discuss them in an open forum, but
always glad to do that with good friends over a beer or two at Dayton.

SD was the last continental state worked, thanks to reliable Todd - WD0T.   On
Saturday night I also worked Gus VO1MP for the last WORKABLE VE section.  Of
course I heard nothing from VY2, VE4, or the frozen Canadian sections.
Actually got a repeat with NF when I worked VD1NUQK.   YES, that call is
correct.  Look it up on QRZ dot COM and your historical knowledge will be
enhanced.

Nothing more to say.  Others have pretty much summarized conditions and other
issues.

K3S, KPA1500,   Inverted vee at 100 feet,    T top vertical, 60 foot vertical
element.    Various wires running through the woods, some under snow for RX.
Some terminated, some not.    All help at some point or another.