[3830] CQ160 CW K2DM Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K2DM Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 09:45:50 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K2DM
Operator(s): K2DM
Station: K2DM

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: IA
Operating Time (hrs): 1

Total:  QSOs = 2  State/Prov = 2  Countries = 0  Total Score = 8

Club:

Comments:

As some of you know, no matter where I might be at the time, I try to get on and
work my brother Peter (K3ZM) during the 160M contests.  I also try to work
brother Jeff (VY2ZM), but that is often a stretch.  Last December, Peter and I
were together in the Bahamas.  We threw a wire out the hotel window (14th floor)
and managed to work VY2ZM in the 160M contest.  That was fun.

Last week I was in Iowa visiting a new grandson.  I didn't have room to take my
K3, but I was able to take my KX3 and a bunch of wire.  Sadly, my hotel window
did not open, so I was not able to throw up a modestly-high wire.  Instead, I
tramped around the kids' back yard in the 8 inches of fresh snow, with no boots,
in zero-degree temps to string up about 90 feet of wire at a maximum height of
12 feet.  Ha!  The tuner in the KX3 did its best, but it could only get the SWR
down to a little under 10:1, and my maximum power out was just a few watts.
Needless to say, I failed in my mission to make contact with Peter.  I heard him
CQing, and I could hear his signal peak up when he switched the antenna west,
but he CQ'd in my face repeatedly.  So sad!
However, after calling a number of loud stations nearby, I finally was able to
work W0VTT in MN and WB9Z in IL.  Thanks, guys!

Sorry, Peter, but it looks as though you managed to win the US without me this
time!