[3830] NA Sprint CW K6DAJ(@W6JZH) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K6DAJ(@W6JZH) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2019 08:06:11 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K6DAJ
Operator(s): K6DAJ
Station: W6JZH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Pittsburg, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   63    64min
   40:  120   112min
   20:   66    56min
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: Northern California Contest Club #2

Comments:

Many thanks to John W6JZH for graciously allowing me to operate at his capable
and well-engineered station.  This was the first sprint I've done from a
competitive station and it was thrilling. Compared to the Sept. sprint, which I
did from my home station, I worked 88 more stations and 10 more mults. Great to
hear and be heard. As for jump balls, it's like I grew a foot taller!

Decided to do this contest with one radio to (almost) avoid having my head
explode. Only in the last hour did I start to wish I had a second radio (only
49Qs last hour). Next time?

First thirty minutes were terrific on 20, with my first Q (appropriately enough)
with N6RO. Succumbed to mass exodus to 40 just before 0100z, then to 80 at
0230z. Last hour switched to mostly CQing (I didn't know it was so hard to add
and subtract fives). Last half hour split between 40 and 80.

As for the QSY rule, didn't realize 1kHz. was so big... you could drive a truck
through it. Looking at the pan-adapter, had to skip over several Qs to get to
the next kHz boundary... packed in there like fraternity brothers in a phone
booth.

Missed ND, NE, VT, RI, ME, DC, AR, NV, UT, WY and all VEs except NB, BC and SK.
Only DX was VI and PY.

Great to work so many NSers, CWTers and NCCCers, including these
three-banders...

N6AA        K6XX        N6MJ        K0RF        N5RZ        K0EJ
N6RT        K3UA        K9CT        N4AF        N4OX        N1LN
K9NW        K6NA        AA7V        KW8N

The best 60 minute rate was 71/hour from 0055 to 0154
The best 30 minute rate was 90/hour from 0002 to 0031
The best 10 minute rate was 96/hour from 0010 to 0019

Gotta love CW.

73,
David
jaffe.com