[3830] RTTY WPX K7HKR SOSB/40 Rookie LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, azswdxing@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX K7HKR SOSB/40 Rookie LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:47:28 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2019

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SOSB/40 LP
Class Overlay: Rookie
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
   80:
   40:  91
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

6-foot diameter magnetic loop (80,40,20)
2el short-beam 15m Yagi
Up to about 80 watts, IC-7300, from AZ, all S&P
SB/40, but also 25 QSOs on 80, 26 on 40, and 22 on 15; total time was about 22
hours

Not only was this my first RTTY contest, it was my first time using RTTY. I had
only decided to do this a few days before the contest, and in messing with
fldigi and wanting to do FSK, I pretty much gave up.  Also, I was at work during
the main practice opportunities leading up to the contest.  But, early Saturday
morning, I decided to try using my SignaLink setup that I use for FT8 and that
turned out to work fine for AFSK.

My main goal was not to be a lid, so of course I screwed up on my first QSO and
had to come back later and work him for real.  Sorry!  After that, it went
pretty smoothly.  I accidentally sent my call again a few times instead of the
exchange, but it wasn't too hard to get the hang of it.  I started out at around
40 watts while making sure my signal was clean, but ended up at around 80 watts
most of the time.

I could only operate into mid-morning, but I was on early enough to catch a
couple JA stations.  I can work JA pretty well on FT8 pre-sunrise, so it was
nice to see that with RTTY.

I was back after 01UT on Saturday evening and worked almost straight through to
20UT Sunday afternoon.  I was successful enough on 40 to decide to submit a
single-band entry even though I put effort into other bands.  During the day, I
split my time between 20 and 15.  I didn't really work much DX.  Ignoring HI,
NA, and the Caribbean, my DX was: 12 JA on 40/20, Maderia Is. on 40 and 80,
Brazil twice on 15 (I heard many more), and miraculously two EU stations on 20.
I heard a couple VK/ZL stations on 40, but couldn't work them.

My score may be off by a little because I did the 40m calculations myself.  I
decided to throw in the ROOKIE overlay for the heck of it; I do still qualify
under the rules for a few more months and I truly was a "rookie" on
RTTY.  I will be back!