[3830] RTTY WPX W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 19:53:41 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2019

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W6QU

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 30.0

------------
   80:   38
   40:   70
   20:  190
   15:   35
   10:    2
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

TATION W8QZA:

Radio: Yaesu FT-817, 5 Watts

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials

Condx were a bit better than we might expect at the bottom of the cycle.  I got
into Europe 21 Qs on 20 meters but never heard a Euro on 15 meters. I wound up
with about double last year's score so condx were certainly better here than
last year.

The biggest annoyance I had was that N1MM+ kept dropping my connection with my
FT-817 radio every several minutes during almost the entire contest. I got it so
I could reboot in about 20 seconds, but it was very frustrating since I had no
hint until I actually tried to send someone's call! I have used N1MM+ on 4
previous contests in this same configuration and never had this happen before.
Now what?!

Best Q of the contest: XQ1KZ on 40 M with my low trap dipole. One call perfect!
Close seconds: CR3DX on 40 M and LZ on 20 M. Zone 20 is very tough from here.

80 M: I got out well throughout USA and VE but no Q outside this region.

40 M: Worked 9 JAs, and the XQ and CR3 mentioned above.

20 M: Got 3 Euros on the first day and 18 on the second. These all come during a
3 hour window from 14:45 Z to 17:30 Z.  That really helped the mults and
off-continent points!

15 M: All North and South America and a few KH6.

10 M: Worked two local multi ops who were kind enough to CQ all the time on a
dead band and give me my 2 Qs! Only heard one other station: a PY that could not
hear me.

CQing: I tried CQing late in the contest because I heard so many mults that were
only S&P. In one half hour, I got 4 Qs that included 2 new pfxs. In the half
hour after that, using S&P I had 10 Qs and 4 new pfxs. So much for CQing
from my station!

I had a DXCC of 30 and WAZ of 16.  Of the 335 Qs in this contest, only 73 were
off continent. I never heard much from Oceania, and much less from South America
than in other contests. This seems to be more a European contest.

Now to get ready for next week and ARRL CW. This is a busy time of year!

73,  Bill W6QU - W8QZA