[3830] ARRLDX CW VE9AA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE9AA SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 01:03:58 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 22:49

  160:  128    50
   80:  373    71
   40:  530    77
   20:  627    84
   15:  137    61
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 1796   344  Total Score = 1,851,408

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

The opening bell saw me driving a MINI in a snowstorm, in the dark, to town to
pick up my son.  I don't know if I've ever done a full ARRL DX contest.  It's
always something.

Saturday was snowblowing, being Dad's taxi, fixing a leaky tire on XYL's car,
then just as a I was going back on the air she mentioned the rear wiper.  Sunday
I fixed the wiper arm (bailing wire !)

Sunday was digging out snow drifts around the front windows, shed, and mailbox
(where the snowblower can't reach). Making meals, watching TV w/ family.

Oh! The contest....yeah, the contest.  Well, I nearly did a "Classic"
(yeah, I know that's a CQ thing).  My 2nd radio is down, so I was SO1R in this
one. (boo-hoo, right? hahahaha)

PS2T gets the sole 10m Q, and RT9S was the last mult on 80m with about 2 mins
left to go.

I usually do thanks at the end, but the sheer # of EU's and the # of Carib
expeditions really make this one worth getting on the air for.  THANKS GUYS !

160m was fair the first night and really good Sunday night, but no new stns to
work.  Too bad.

80m was good or a little more than good the first night and really great the 2nd
night. Comments are the same as 160m.  Very few new ones.

40m was pretty good the first night (but I never got on until the contest was
already roaring, thus it was pretty long (and hollow/weak) but did work the big
boys.
Sunday morning the sigs to the Pacific/VK/ZL and Ja were FB.

20m was 20m.  Missed lots of prime time both days (hey, sux having
responsibilities, but that's life)

15m was weak first day and caught an early Es-link to EU the 2nd day...lots of
big signals but most were on 20m or sleeping in late I think.

10m....that's now a VHF band.  w/o a 2nd radio and missing lotsa daytime both
days, I missed whatever opening might've happened.  PS2T gets my respect !

6m.....wait, different contest.

Lotsa lotsa great ops.  A couple nasty folks.  Lotsa great fists and some not
so.

Things that make me go hummmmm (in no particular order).

3 and 4 letter callsigns.....why send them 2 or more times when calling me>?
(kinda defeats the whole point of having a nice short snappy callsign, wha?!

Zero beat callers. UGH.  A couple times I swear I had a dozen EU's all at
519-529 and I even sent "ZERO BEAT ZERO BEAT" (you guessed it, made no
difference whatsoever!) Same hoard called all zero beat when I let up on the
key.  Hey, I tried.

Guys clicking on spots.  Can't count the # of times I responded to a caller, 3,
4, 5, 6, or 7 times and couldn't coax get a report from them....just calling me
blind.  These folks REALLY need to listen first, call second. please.

PV8ADI sending a serial # (not a power level) I passed him by. FUGGIDABOUTIT.

Notable signals (from memory). ZF1A, TI7W, VP2MSS ,8P5A,  all the V3's, V26M,
6Y3M...DL6FBL, DD1A, EA7PP (hello), KH7B (louder than all other Hawaiins, every
time). ZM1A, VK2IA, CU4DX, I could go on and on.

So few Africans. Shame. Small stn ZR2A was loud, so I bet a well equipped stn
would\ve rocked into NA on 20, 15 and maybe even 10...where's ZS4TX these days?

Very few SA's and for some reason they can't hear me (my antennas maybe) and
most of them were running 100w and can't hear my QRO

Antennas:
10m....A2S (yes, an A2S) @ 24'...….useless these days

15m. 5el Vertical Dipole Array...in bad shape. Only elements still working were
good to EU and SA (thankfully my 2 main directions this w/e---phew!)

20m. Wire/Aluminum 4-square

40m. Wire 4-square

80m. Wire 4-square

160m. Inverted L

IC-7410, YCCC SO2R+, N3ZN paddles, N1MM+(flawless)

CU (all of a sudden!) in the next one !

dit dit

Mike VE9AA (NB)