[3830] ARRLDX CW ZM2B(ZL2BR) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, 2bfrank@orcon.net.nz
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW ZM2B(ZL2BR) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 05:56:10 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: ZM2B
Operator(s): ZL2BR
Station: ZM2B

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Taranaki, NZ
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:
   40:  345    51
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  345    51  Total Score = 52,785

Club:

Comments:

Was very disappointed with the results of my SOSB40 effort considering that the
last time I operated SOSB40 back in 2010, I made 880 contacts with 58 mults in
18 hours on air.

So what went wrong this time round? As in 2010 starting at 0530utc, the 200 qso
mark was reached in the first 3 hours, but after that it was all down hill!
During my second session also starting at 0530utc, I could only manage 45
contacts in the next three hours so I gave up and went to bed. Obviously the
first and easiest stations to work were those with the strongest signals and
that to work the weaker stations would as usual be a struggle at times.

But I have to admit that living in a city suburban location that my RFI noise
levels, especially on lower bands are increasing as the years roll by, so it's
always going to be a problem to hear the weaker signals.

At present the noise floor on my IC-7600 is -138dBm, but when my 40m antenna is
selected, the noise level rises to -102dBm.

Possibly there has been a significant decrease in the activity level of US/VE
stations in this contest?

I'm looking forward to operating SOSB15 or even SOSB10 in this contest in future
years!

Rig: IC-7600, 40m GP feed @25ft, AL80B amp

73, Frank ZL2BR