[3830] ARRLDX CW N4ZR M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4zr@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N4ZR M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:14:37 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N4ZR
Operator(s): N4ZR W1LWH
Station: N4ZR

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   42    31
   80:  344    79
   40:  467    91
   20:  871   105
   15:  210    74
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1934   380  Total Score = 2,203,620

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3 - KPA1500
C-3 at 50 feet
Carolina windom
40M full-wave sloper

The last time W1LWH and I operated together was during one weekend of the 1959
ARRL DX Contest, so for the 60th anniversary we decided on a reprise.  Our
average age then was 17 - you can do the math.

N4ZR is the better of the two stations, but still pretty modest except for the
big amp.  That's what you do when you know the antennas are likely to remain
modest.  The situation was also complicated by line noise to our West that ran
S8-S9 on all bands where we couldn't point the beam away.  That meant that we
had real difficulty running, so probably 90 percent of our Qs were S&P.  I'm
telling myself that when we get that cleaned up - and the power company *is* on
the case - our low-band results should improve dramatically.  Even on 20 and 15,
we were only able to work the big guns from JA, and that was it for Asia.

160 was a real surprise.  W1LWH improvised an L network to let us feed the 40M
full-wave sloper on 160.  Even without a receiving antenna, he managed 31
countries on that band, an amazing total. Now if I can get the inverted L up and
finish the K9AY loop receiving antenna, we should be in good shape.

73, Pete N4ZR